Skip to main content

Full text of "Byzantine Churches In Constantinople"

326
45- In 46. In
BYZANTINE CHURCHES
CHAP.
the western lunette.—Mary receiving purple and scarlet wool
to weave in the veil of the temple.
the vault.— On the east^ Mary admitted to the Holy of Holies when three years of age5 lest she should go back to the world ; on the westj the procession of maidens escorting Mary to the temple,
47.  The   third  transverse  arch.—To the
eastj Mary in the temple receiving bread from the archangel Gabriel j
J.HH till                to t^le west5   ^ary i*1  tne temple
T ,"""" f LJ                  receiving instruction.
48.  On the eastern wall, to the south side
of the main entrance to the church. —The Apostle Paul.
FIG. 115.—MODEL OF THE CHURCH OF S. SAVIOUR IN THE CHORA.
The scenes represented on these mosaics are not peculiar to this church, but are a selection from cycles of subjects which from the eleventh century became favourite themes for pictorial treatment on the walls of important churches in the Byzantine world. Several of these scenes are found portrayed also at Daphni, Mistra^ S. Sophia at Kiev, in the churches of Mt. Athos, on diptychs and manuscripts/ as well as in the chapel of the arena at Padua. The cycle of subjects taken from the life of Mary was developed mainly in Syria, and Schmitt2 goes so far as to maintain that the mosaics of the Chora are copies of Syrian mosaics executed by a Syrian artist, when the church was restored in the ninth century by Michael Syncellus, who, it will be remembered, came from Syria.
Kondakoff assigns most of the mosaics to the Comnenian restoration of the church by Maria Ducaena in the eleventh or twelfth century. One of them at least, the De6sis, has survived ; and there may be others of that period, for, as that mosaic proves, the narthex of the church was decorated when
1 A work reproducing, under the Pope's authority, the eighty-two miniatures illustrating the Life of the Madonna, which was composed by a monk James in the twelfth century (Cod. Vatic. Gr. 1162), is announced (DanesI, Editore, Roma, 1911), with a preface and descriptions of the miniatures by Cosimo Stornajolo. The miniatures are said to rival those of the Greek Codex 1028 in the National Library in Paris,                                             2 Op. tit. pp. 134-41.